Episode 36 is full of everything we didn’t know we needed to talk about. Game of Thrones ended two years ago but apparently we’re still not over it. Kysmet’s been playing (or watching) Resident Evil. And why haven’t the aliens contacted us? No, really: Fermi’s Paradox, the Great Filter, and more. Plus more about other podcasts we love and Elia’s geriatric hobbies. Buckle up for the longest show notes ever.
Game of Thrones
- We aren’t the only ones who hated the Game of Thrones finale. Here’s just one of the others.
- Benioff and Weiss didn’t even get to work on Star Wars. Boo hoo.
- George R.R. Martin is never going to finish his books.
The Magnus Archives
- Bridgewater podcast
- Grim & Mild podcast network (That’s the name we couldn’t remember)
- Read more about the Bridgewater Triangle
Aliens and UFOs
- Alien Abduction in the White Mountains: The Story of Betty and Barney Hill
- Inside The Pentagon’s UFO Report (NY Magazine)
- The Outer Space cigar: ‘Oumuamua
- Wait But Why: The Fermi Paradox
- Includes everything about the probability of life elsewhere, the reasons those civilizations may not have contacted us, and The Great Filter (we’re rare, we’re first, or we’re fucked)
- All that stuff about the Type 1, Type 2 civilizations is part of the Kardashev Scale. I missed a few things — here’s more.
- How Capcom designed Resident Evil’s Lady Dimitrescu – Kysmet’s tall vampire lady love
- Can we talk about this charming bastard? – Reddit thread about Kysmet’s OTHER love in Resident Evil, aka Hobo Magneto
Heisenberg (Hobo Magneto) Scenes and Encounters (spoilers)
- Tetris 99 on Nintendo Switch
- NY Times Games Subscription
- Seterra Geography Games
- How well can you do with the 193 United Nations Member States?
- Penny Press Puzzles
I think we are underutilizing Penny Press puzzles as a means of radicalizing retirees.— Elia Winters (@EliaWinters) August 29, 2020
New cryptogram solutions like, “All property is theft,” “The master’s tools will never dismantle the master’s house,” “Black Lives Matter,” “Tax billionaires,” etc.